joannad330
joannad330,
Experience:  Expert
112148115

We have inherited a lot of Italian antique mahogany bedroom

Customer Question

Hi, we have inherited a lot of Italian antique mahogany bedroom furniture. That is a) in need of restoration and b) although amazing is not our style and we are not sure what to do with it or the best place to try and sell it in its current condition? Any advice greatly appreciated
JA: Hi there. Does the furniture have a maker's mark or serial number?
Customer: Not entirely sure, but can look for one
JA: Do you know how old the furniture is?
Customer: At least 100 - 120yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: The set includes a bed, massive wardrobe, chest of draws, dressing table and 2 bed side tables
Category: Antiques
Expert:  joannad330 replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** you send me a few images of one or two items so I can advise you?

Depends where you are based in the UK, the best way to sell antique furniture is an auction. Now, I am based in Edinburgh, if I have antiques for sale, for example, the Chinese 18th-century bowl, I would call a few auction houses if Chinese porcelain is doing well at their auction. Italian antique mahogany furniture is usually superb quality, the items that you mentioned, bed, wardrobe, etc. sell really well at the moment. Antique furniture is not in anyone`s aesthetic but quality always sells, also wardrobes, beds, and chests of drawers are very popular. Send a few images also to Bonhams, if you have something special maybe the best way to go is to contact a prominent auction house to achieve the best price. I sold with Bonhams and I was always pleased with the autcome. Don`t worry about restoration, Italian furniture is very desirable.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Joanne, no I don't have any on me but they are storage locally so will pop over at the weekend to take a couple of pictures. They are very ornate and a whole complete bedroom set. Approx 100-120 year either Italian or French mahogany. Is it OK if I post the pics tomorrow?

Sure! No Problem!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Brilliant thank you!

My pleasure!

hello. I will be out from 3 pm till 7.30 pm, In case you will send photos between 3-7, please check Just Answer at around 9 pm and I will get back to you by 9. Thank you