joannad330
joannad330,
Experience:  Expert
112148115

I have an antique chair that I was told was German Empire.

I have an antique chair that I was told was German Empire. could I have it valued please?
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Does the chair have a maker's mark or serial number?
Customer: no. but I have photos I can send
JA: Do you know how old the chair is? What condition is it in?
Customer: I don't know the age and the condition is probably average but has been stripped and needs recoving
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: no

I would love to see photos of your chair and then I think I can help. Greg

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how do I send the photos?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
are we still live?

Sorry but I think you will have to check that out by referring back to help at Just Answer. All valuations either require first hand inspection or clear photos. Really sorry to not be totally helpful here. Look forward to getting more info. Greg

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
will these do?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
did you get these photos?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm getting frustrated. Is anybody answering these messages?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how long will this take?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
this is an appalling service, I've been waiting an hour. can I have my £5 back please.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm still waiting for help

Hello. My name is***** am UK based expert. I am sorry that you had to wait so long for your answer. In my opinion, this is a German or Germanic armchair. Moreover, I think it is a regional chair /folk chair, mahogany wood with what appears to be maple wood inlay decorations. The condition is not great but I am confident that this chair is from the late 18th century. I would value it at least £350. If restored you would get more. Send images of your chair to a local furniture restorer and ask in advance about the costs. Sometimes restoration cost exceeds the value of the chair so it is good to ask in advance and make sure that the restorer is not charging for providing an estimate. It is a very unusual chair, its structure and decorations don`t provide any more information to me so I hope this answers your question.

joannad330,
Experience: Expert