GregoryH46
GregoryH46,
Experience:  Expert
112228356

I have a newspaper from 1912. I have an original Newspaper

Customer Question

I have a newspaper from 1912 .
JA: What would you like to learn about the newspaper?
Customer: I have an original Newspaper from 1912. It has the sinking of the Titanic on front and indie page
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. What condition is the newspaper in?
Customer: It has been folded up and is a pale brown colour. You can read it clearly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: it has photographs of the Captain and other staff. It has photographs of some of the staff. There are written pieces on each of them. It even says that contrary to what had been said the Captain did not shoot himself but went down with the ship alive and on the bridge. There are other memories too.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 8 days ago.

Thanks. Rather like significant Royal or Wartime events, most of the population cherished the newspapers that recorded the events. For example, there will be millions of copies of articles relating to the recent death of The Duke of E.. The death of Wellington of course was very significant and that of Churchill. Consequently , although when found these seem important pieces of 'ephemera', they are not as rare as one might hope. Can you forward an image please and do you know which newspaper it is? Greg

Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 8 days ago.

Do you have the complete newspaper with front page and title? Greg

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The Daily Mirror is the paper. I’ll take photographs and sen them to you.
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 8 days ago.

Thanks. I look forward to that. Greg

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It n 8 page special with front page
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (Z4Z4V42)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (4M7Q6LM)
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 8 days ago.

Looks genuine. Is it complete do you think and are the folding sections together or ripped apart? Obviously the folding has resulted in slight damage. The discolouring is natural and actually underpins the authenticity. I do think that in the right auction it could attract interest. Greg

Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 7 days ago.

Definitely something to offer at auction. You could try Ebay but if you do, make a very good job of an accurate listing so that when people get them they do not argue about condition or completeness. I dont think that complete copies can be bought for less than £150/200 in good condition. There are auction houses that specialise in printed material. You should find them online.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have had this for over 30yrs, my father had it before that. He found it under some linolium Inn a house he was renovating. The golda arenoot ripped but quite thin in parts. I'm sure it is original as the elderly woman who had owned the house had been there since birth and so had her mother.
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 7 days ago.

That all sounds absolutely as it needs to be. Auction will be the best way forward. Do you need some advice regarding where to offer it for auction? If so please let me know what area you are in Greg

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
South Wales
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 7 days ago.

If you would like me to recommend an auction house please be a bit more specific about where you are. Greg

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
8 mil from Cardiff.
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 7 days ago.

Thanks. then i think you should ring Anthemion Auctions. They are a very good established firm in Cardiff.

02920 472444  They are likely to be interested in your item. Best wishes. Greg

Customer: replied 7 days ago.