GregoryH46
GregoryH46,
Experience:  Expert
112228356

I have an Victorian fireplace I wanted to know evaluation of

Customer Question

Hi I have an Victorian fireplace I wanted to know evaluation of it
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Do you know how old the item is?
Customer: not sure
JA: What condition is the item in?
Customer: it’s been well looked after but some we’re and tears because of the age
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: It’s a very big Victorian fire place it’s wooden The measurements Hight 6f 4 inch
Width 4 f 8inch
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (LQZMZTM)
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 12 days ago.

Thanks for the photo. I will try to help. Still typing..

I wonder why you describe it as Victorian. I suppose that if you know that the house was built before 1900 then that would be correct. If Victorian then it would be much towards the end of her reign. These sorts of wooden fire surrounds became very popular in Edwardian home s and then throughout the years leading up to WW2. Perhaps you are taking it out and want to know if you will get something for it?

We would call it an oak fire surround because of course the central part which was very often tiled- is a separate entity and will remain on the wall generally when the surround is removed.\still typing..

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The house is over 100 years old

If you undertake this work, you will need to uncover the fixings of this wooden surround. They are normally quite well screwed or nailed into the wall at the sides and if these fixings are not taken away first, you would risk damaging the structure of the woodwork if too much force is applied. Assuming that you release the fixings, the fire surround should come away in one piece. Sadly though you may then find yourself disappointed with the construction of this surround. They are generally made up of box sections and of course in the 1930s versions used a fair amount of veneered ply. Yours may all be solid wood, but a problem remains. That is that the item is not really a fireplace  - only the 'outer' part. Attractive as it may seem to you, very few people want these dark architectural elements in their modern homes and the work and costs of reinstating it (and having to prepare a central section for it) normally put people off. For those reasons, I do not think that much of the cost of removing it will be recovered by selling it. If you look under architectural antique outlets I think that you will find such items. Do not expect to recover more than (say) £100 for it - and that may be a bit optimistic. When we bought our first house(1930s) in 1976 it had a mahogany one. My daughter lives there now and ITS STILL THERE. Looks great but if removed would be worth very little indeed. They can be tricky to remove too without damage. How else can I help please. Greg

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks a lot for ur time I really appreciate you have explained it very well. I have removed it from the wall and all in one piece without any damage and now is stored in garage x

Sorry to seem pedantic but by 1901 we describe the period as Edwardian.

If you offer it for sale then I dont particularly recommend online sites because it would have to be buyer collect and that will depress the price. Most areas do have Architectural Salvage companies not too far away. A search on Yell may help with that. These things are generally attractive and often well made and they are part of our architectural inheritance. They ought to be worth more but it's simply supply and demand! Greg

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks a lot for ur help. Salma
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi it said £5 was refundable x

Sorry but I dont have anything to do with charges. I just try to answer questions. Greg

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thanks x