GregoryH46
GregoryH46,
Experience:  Expert
112228356

I have meissen vases but I need to know the value of them

Customer Question

Hi I have meissen vases but I need to know the value of them please
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Are there any unique markings or symbols on the vase?
Customer: Yes
JA: Do you know how old the vase is? What condition is it in?
Customer: Excellent condition just know they are old X mark
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I have no idea about i can send pictures
Category: Antiques
Expert:  joannad330 replied 11 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to assist you with your appraisal question.

Please upload images of your vases and of the maker`s mark. Thank you!

Click on the blue square with an arrow or paper clip symbol in order to upload images from your device.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Its in excellent condition.

Thank you for the images. I am working on your question. Get back to me within 20 minutes.

I was unable to match your meissen maker's mark, I was expecting to see blue crossed sword, not black. I will opt out of this question and allow another expert to have a look at your vases. Thank you!

Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 10 days ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Tetyana-moderator
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 10 days ago.

I note that a previous valuer opted out of your question. Frankly I am not that surprised. If I am not able to give you a response with which you are happy, then I do not expect to be paid for this message. Still typing....

I am not totally convinced that they are Meissen and the crossed swords mark does not perfectly match my expectations in that regard. The paintings - whilst attractive and well executed do not to me quite match the precision and artistry that I have come to expect on Meissen wares and of course Meissen has been much copied. I was at first tempted to think that the vases could be Sevres because they did make vases in the Meissen style but I do not think that they would have so blatantly 'forged' the marks - although your marks do look rather darker (black almost)  than the blue crossed swords expected on Meissen. Another French factory that made good quality porcelain in the style of several top porcelain makers was Samson. I wondered if they could be Samson copies. Of course given the VERY FRENCH subject of the paintings on the vases one is tempted to consider French manufacturing.

As I have been in the trade for a very long time, it will not surprise you that I have many contacts in Fine Arts Auction Houses and so i request that you give me an idea of where you are based in the country so that I can arrange for your vases to be seen first hand  and assessed without any charge to yourself.

In conclusion, I do think that  the vases are very striking and clearly of good quality and expensive when made. The techniques involved in their decoration and firing were only employed in high quality companies.

Sorry to not 'hit the nail on the head' here but I feel confident that we can easily arrive at a proper assessment and valuation after bank holiday monday. Hope that moves thins on a little because I note that you have been waiting for an answer for a day or two. Greg