GregoryH46
GregoryH46,
Experience:  Expert
112228356

Could I have some information on some old chairs I have

Could I have some information on some old chairs I have please ?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Photo

Your chairs look like first quarter of the 20th century and are likely to be  a type of mahogany. We would call then dining chairs and they are a mixture of earlier styles. Very typically eclectic for that period. Normally there might be 4 or 6 and sometimes  with carvers. Still typing...

Let's assume that you have 4 for a start because in auction they would make perhaps £10 a chair. Not much you may think. That's the state of 'brown furniture ' I am afraid. Carvers do make slightly more but honestly a set of 4 with two addition carvers would struggle to make £100. Get back to me if I can help further. Greg

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Many thanks for that - I just wanted to check before I throw them out. Seems a shame though. I actually like them but will cost a fortune to be fixed up. Thanks again. Kind regards

The design of the frames of these 'trapped seat' chairs leaves the vertical components (especially the backs) very weak and if people rock on the back legs then the backs become very loose or even fail completely.