GregoryH46
GregoryH46,
Experience:  Expert
112228356

I have a 1933 Singer Sowing Machine in a table cabinet I

Hi! I have a 1933 Singer Sowing Machine in a table cabinet I would like to sell. Just wondering how much they sell for these days? I have photos.
JA: Hi there. Does the table have a maker's mark or serial number?
Customer: Yes September 1934
JA: What condition is the table in?
Customer: Excellent condition
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: can I send photos?

By all means send the photos, but I will be able to answer your question without that. When I started having an interest in antiques (1970s) These items were coming onto the market (both table and cabinet models) Some were hand operated, some treadle operated and some converted to electricity by adding a motor. Some designs allowed the machine to 'fold away' into the cabinet after use. The most common makes were Singer an Frister and Rossman. Still typing...

Nearly always black with attractive gold and colourful transfers , they were at that time about £10 each and were purchased by trained or semi skilled seamstresses because they actually preferred that type of machine for their work. As the years have passed, there are still very large numbers of these indestructible machines in existence - except that now they have been overtaken by much more sophisticated electric models with computerised stich choices. Frankly they have been a white elephant for years and I would say that their value has remained unchanged. Good looking things but redundant technology, heavy and take up space. I have turned down two this week from people visiting my shop to sell identical things. Sorry. Greg

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks very much for your detailed advice. Much appreciated!!!