GregoryH46
GregoryH46,
Experience:  Expert
112228356

I have a rather large old fashioned illustrated Bible that I

I have a rather large old fashioned illustrated Bible that I would like some info on if possible.

This is a fairly standard brass bound family bible. Although it looks like it belongs in a church, many families had these for reading at home. Still typing...

You don't show many pages but I would not be surprised if near the start there are pages dedicated to keeping family records. Births, deaths and other significant family events were often hand-written in this section. These books date from the mid to late Victorian era generally and were much revered objects in the home.

Very often nicely decorated with coloured prints, the overall quality was excellent. I have had a number through my hands in my years in the trade but have normally just found a good home for them because although not very religious myself, my father was a minister and I could not take profit from selling a bible.

They do appear in auctions and there are still many in existence. I would not expect one to sell for more than £40/50 as there really is less interest in these religious items in an increasingly secular indigenous British population. Hope that helps . Greg