GregoryH46
GregoryH46,
Experience:  Expert
112228356

I have a coin and want to know if it is worth anything, Uk

Customer Question

I have a coin and want to know if it is worth anything
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Do you know where the coin is from?
Customer: Uk pound
JA: Do you know how old the coin is? What condition is it in?
Customer: 1985 how do I send a picture it was made into a pendant
JA: The Antiques Appraiser will be able to walk you through that. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Not sure
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (MP4M1V4)
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 12 days ago.

I regret to say that there is virtually no chance of your coin having any precious metal content. Clearly the colour of the surround suggests gold. If it were gold then the 'hanger' at the top would be marker 375 or 9ct. I am sure that it will not be.

Secondly, I note that the ring at the top is not soldered (closed). If gold then it generally would be soldered together.

Still typing...

If you do a search under 'enamelled Queen Elizabeth coins' I believe that you will find other examples and people do ask more than £20 for them. Such a figure is I think optimistic though.

As a final check, next time you are in a high street, just pop into a jewellers. They will make sure whether there is any gold content. If there is not (and that's what I think) then you can be absolutely certain. Sorry .

A coin of your size in 22ct gold would probably be worth £200/300 but not many people would ruin it by applying colours and then enamelling or mounting in plastic. Best wishes. Greg