Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

We have two Japanese POW scrimshaw cigarette dispensers. One

Hi we have two Japanese POW scrimshaw cigarette dispensers. One is of what looks like a demons head with horns and some sort of decoration. The other is depicting a Chinese lady in kimono holding a musical instrument. These have both been worked onto clear plastic. My wife was given them by her father. He said he was given them by a Chinese prisoner of war. We do have photographs of these if you are interested in them. Any information you have would be interesting to hear. Thank you kindly. Steve.
JA: Hi there. What would you like to learn about the horn? Does it have a serial number?
Customer: No serial number on either boxes. I was just trying to describe the demon. To me the decoration on this looks like a thin chain flowing from front of face to behind the head. I’m wondering if a collector would be interested in them. Thank you.
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Do you know how old the horn is?
Customer: Paul it is not a horn. It’s two Chinese POW cigarette dispensers one with a demon head and one with a lady in kimono depicted on them. Both scrimshaw work on clear plastic. Thank you.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: The demon is black colour shade and the Chinese lady is black and red colour shade. I have photos of them. Thank you.
My name is ***** ***** I’m a moderator for this topic! My goal is to help you get the best out of JustAnswer.
Experts are much more likely to answer your question quickly if they can see pictures of your items. Please attach pictures using the information here:
https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Thank you for your help and patience,
Tetyana – Moderator
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (GP5QM2S)
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I hope these photos were ok for you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Demon head box measures.
4” by 3 1/4” depth is 3/4”. Sliding opening is on the left side
Chinese lady measures.
5 1/2” by 3 1/4”” depth is 1/2”. Sliding opening is on the left. I hope this info helps. Thank you.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We are not sure if she is Japanese or Chinese lady.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The demon head box measures.
4” by 3 1/4” depth is 3/4”
Sliding opening on the left.
Chinese or Japanese lady measures.
5 1/2” by 3 1/4” depth is 1/2”
Sliding opening is on the left.

Hello, my name is Glenda
Thank you for coming to JustAnswer

After researching I found the Chinese Etched Cigarette Dispensers early 20thC have an estimated value on the current market for an average of  100.00-110.00 GBP Each 

These are considered Etched, Scrimshaw is : Scrimshaw is scrollwork, engravings, and carvings done in bone or ivory. Typically it refers to the artwork created by whalers, engraved on the byproducts of whales, such as bones or cartilage.

If you plan on selling. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
Facebook Marketplace is how most people post things for sale locally.

Etsy is a great site

There is also craigslist locally which is free.  Ebay is a great option. It does reach a lot of people, but items tend to sell a little lower on there If you do decide to try Ebay, I recommend setting reserves.

.

I would be happy to help you with any additional items you may have.

( Do not add new item to this answered question, you must submit a brand new question )
.
To find me again start a new question in a separate chat write “For Glenda Only” as the first words.  You can also 'favorite' me. Doing this I should show up as your personal Expert.

You can also use this link: USE THIS LINK: www.justanswer.com/antiques/expert-glenda-b/?rpt=21004
.
I strive to provide the best 5 start service possible, if you have any questions feel free asking me.

Bonuses are also welcome! Many ask where to leave bonuses, adding a bonus is on the Leave a Review page.

I hope you have a great day

Thank you for visiting Just Answer
Glenda

Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Glenda thank you for looking into this for us and explaining your findings we appreciate your time. At the moment we do not wish to part with these items if in time we change our minds we will be back in touch with you. Thank you again. Steve.

You are very welcome Steve.

Have a great day

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
you Glenda.