GregoryH46
GregoryH46,
Experience:  Expert
112228356

I have a bronze sculpture by Emmanuel Fremiet of a farm boy

Customer Question

I have a bronze sculpture by Emmanuel Fremiet of a farm boy on a horse. It is 16 inches high and the base measures 14 inches in length. It belonged to my Grandmother unfortunately her house was destroyed by an incendiary bomb but luckily this bronze was saved. The head of the boy has broken off and I would like to have it repaired.
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Are there any unique markings or symbols on the sculpture?
Customer: The name Fremiet is on the base.
JA: Do you know how old the sculpture is?
Customer: No I don’t know anything about it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: No.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 10 days ago.
My name is ***** ***** I’m a moderator for this topic! My goal is to help you get the best out of JustAnswer.
Experts are much more likely to answer your question quickly if they can see pictures of your items. Please attach pictures using the information here:
https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Thank you for your help and patience,
Tetyana – Moderator
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 9 days ago.

Could you please forward some photos. A close up of the break would help too. Greg

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Here are the two photos as requested. Thank you for your help.
Janet
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 9 days ago.

I do have some questions. Two metals were used most commonly for these items. the best and by far the most expensive is BRONZE. An alloy of brass and tin. Very hard material and dark brown surface but rather brass coloured when the surface is broken.

Secondly SPELTER. This is a very soft almost pewter type material (poor man's bronze). It is a rather silvery coloured material that has to be coloured darker. Still typin...

Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 9 days ago.

When spelter gets damaged, the underlying metal is silvery /lead coloured.

90% of these rather Victorian figures that we see are spelter. The difference in value is massive.

In bronze your figure could be worth over £1000 but in spelter (especially if damaged) less than £100. You stated i think that the head had been off. Spelter is much more easily damaged than bronze. Look closely around the neck join and make a tiny indentation in the damage with a very sharp point. Spelter is easily marked and bronze much less so. Let me know what you discover. Greg

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you but I will seek local advice. Janet
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 5 days ago.

ok.