GregoryH46
GregoryH46,
Experience:  Expert
112228356

I have a antique french clock been guilded which will effect

Customer Question

I have a antique french clock been guilded which will effect the value
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Does the clock have a maker's mark or serial number?
Customer: Im not sure my mum has sent photos with numbers on them but i dont know which is the serial number
JA: Do you know how old the clock is? What condition is it in?
Customer: No idea how old it is my great grandad bought it the condition is good i thibk it was working but might just need cleaning
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Nope only that my great grandad had it guilded
Category: Antiques
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 12 days ago.

The value will depend upon what the clock case is made of. Please forward some photos to help me with that. Greg

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (V7M3L37)

This clock has a fairly standard French movement. The movement and clock are good quality. Still typing...

The number on the pendulum should match the one on the back plate of the clock. They started life together.

The other number is ***** a factory reference number. The enamel dial looks in good condition and that is important.

The case looks to be brass and that makes sense because it was probably originally lacquered to prevent it losing its shine.

That lacquer deteriorates over time and looks a bit 'streaky'. Nothing wrong with that. Best left alone.

Still typing..

All clocks have fallen in value in the past 10/15 tears but i believe that a sensible auction estimate for yours would be £150/200. In a clock shop they would ask much more but of course give a guarantee. Greg