GregoryH46
GregoryH46,
Experience:  Expert
112228356

I have a very old painting ( 1838) i would like evaluated is

i have a very old painting ( 1838) i would like evaluated is this something that you do?
JA: What would you like to learn about the painting? Is there any info on the back, or a certificate of authenticity?
Customer: info on back no certificate
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. What condition is the painting in?
Customer: excellent only damage to one corner
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: other than the slight damage, noCustomer: Chat is completed
My name is ***** ***** I’m a moderator for this topic! My goal is to help you get the best out of JustAnswer.
Experts are much more likely to answer your question quickly if they can see pictures of your items. Please attach pictures using the information here:
https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Thank you for your help and patience,
Alina - Moderator

I will be happy to help if you can please forward one or two photos. Back of picture too please. Greg

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (S44ZZSP)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (67PSSSG)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (MLL35V7)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
good evening have you had a look at the pictures? many thanks

Just looking at your picture. This looks like water colour painted on paper.. Still typing..

The writing on the back does not help me with the provenance of the picture. It is so very Victorian in style and I did wonder for a moment if it could be someone's version of Victoria and Albert but the first of her seven children was not born till 1840 i think so that can't be it.

It may well be that the family paid an artist for this representation.

It cannot be described as a 'happy' family scene. They look like they have just had bad news or are expecting some. The children are rather 'doll like' in representation and apart from the faces and some of the clothing, parts of the picture are rather 'broad'. that means lacking in specific accuracy or detail. So i would say a good 'journeyman' artist but not a famous portrait painter.

There are some allegorical elements within the picture. That is to say things that if understood would confer greater 'hidden' meanings. Why are the hats on the floor in the foreground?

There is some 'foxing' (iron mould marks) on the paper - not really a negative here.

I think that a local auctioneer might be able to attribute it to an artist if you let them see it first hand.

Nevertheless it is an original piece of Victorian art executed by a skilled hand. In a decent frame it would sell in auction for less than £100 I believe. Unlikely to give real joy though to the person who ahngs it at home because due consideration would lead one to the conclusion that the picture represents more of a funeral than a wedding. Sorry. Greg

GregoryH46,
Experience: Expert
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks so much Gregg that is really helpful. Think i will keep it as it is a beautiful painting definitely not worth selling for less than £100. Thanks for your time. All the best, Janine.