GregoryH46
GregoryH46,
Experience:  Expert
112228356

I have a glass bottle (Crown perfumery company) in a

I have a green glass bottle (Crown perfumery company) in a 'silver' casing, top dated 1906. Would it be of any value. It's about 9cm in height.
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Does the bottle have unique or identifying markings?
Customer: There are initials (EC) engraved along with the date
JA: What condition is the bottle in?
Customer: Quite good. Stopper stuck & white powder contents. There is a number in the glass on the bottom.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I don't think so
My name is ***** ***** I’m a moderator for this topic! My goal is to help you get the best out of JustAnswer.
Experts are much more likely to answer your question quickly if they can see pictures of your items. Please attach pictures using the information here:
https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Thank you for your help and patience,
Tetyana – Moderator
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (5Z23LLV)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (371Q31Z)

Lovely little Edwardian item.  Does the glass bottle just drop into the cylindrical base? What holds the top on? Is it just the right diameter to go over he glass? It's almost certainly for smelling salts. Does the stopper take out or is it stuck? If stuck do not force it. Greg

Get back to me with answers please then I will suggest a value. Have you found hall marks within the repousse decoration. Sometimes you have to look very closely because the decoration is so fussy. Greg

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The cylinder fits over the bottle with a separate cap. The stopper is firmly in place so haven't tried to force it. It's not a sentimental item exactly. My grandmother worked in jewellers, a lady came in looking to sell some small items. The owner said no, my grandmother felt sorry for her & bought them herself.

Well it's a nice item. Did you look for those hall marks. They are almost certainly 'hidden' in the pattern. If someone brought it to my shop I would pay £40/50 or so. Do you want me to suggest how to get the stopper out safely? What area are you in. Greg

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
There is No. 160745 on the base of the bottle, a diamond pattern with lettering inside
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I would be interested in opening the bottle, yes. I live in Oxfordshire. I'd love to know why the engraving was put on, a gift maybe? What sort of person wouod have owned it?

Put the glass bottle in warm water (not too hot now) . Before that pour a little drop of very thin oil (WD40 would be good or similar) The light oil should run around the joint between the bottle and the stopper. Then once in the warm water observe closely to see if small bubbles rise through the join between stopper and bottle. That would be the air expanding in the bottle pushing air out of any tiny gaps . Once the bottle is warm take it from the water and allow it to cool naturally. as it cools, the contracting should draw the light oil between bottle and stopper. if the stopper is going to come out then reasonably light rotational twisting should move it. If it is smelling salts - stand back!!!Smell s foul!

The initials just identify the owner. Greg

GregoryH46,
Experience: Expert