GregoryH46
GregoryH46,
Experience:  Expert
112228356

I have an antique type carriage clock that i would like some

Customer Question

hi i have an antique type carriage clock that i would like some advice /valuation on
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Does the clock have a maker's mark or serial number?
Customer: says made in paris on the front,it is made off brass i would guess has a compass and barometer
JA: Do you know how old the clock is? What condition is it in?
Customer: not exactly but it must be 100 yrs plus , probably naval connection, condition
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: it did have a thermometer on it as well ,but that has fallen off
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AlinaK-admin replied 16 days ago.
My name is ***** ***** I’m a moderator for this topic! My goal is to help you get the best out of JustAnswer.
Experts are much more likely to answer your question quickly if they can see pictures of your items. Please attach pictures using the information here:
https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Thank you for your help and patience,
Alina - Moderator
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 16 days ago.

If you could please upload some photos I will be delighted to help. Greg

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
great ,just trying to down load photos and will then send them
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
File attached (L45G6VV)

This is an unusually interesting clock. Is it in any sort of working condition or are you not sure.

It looks as though it would benefit from some restoration. There should of course be a thermometer on the front which has most likely been broken. I see that you have the key to wind the clock side of it.

Is it something that you are looking to sell? Greg

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I think it would work ,but haven't wound it up ,I'm sure it does need restoration ,but have no idea who to go to. I would probably sell it but no idea of current value ,it was value roughly about 15 yes ago ,but nothing current

What was the value at that time/ greg

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
163;800.

Well it is quite a rare item and clock collectors and clock shops would love to have it. £800 was a valuation I guess and not an offer. It was worth more 20 years ago because all clocks have suffered a reduction in popularity. They are not seen as useful items by the younger generation. Also your clock appears to just be a timepiece (doesn'tstrike).

Still, the double width and double purpose does add tremendous value. I think that an auction estimate today in its present condition should be £400/500 but frankly it could do very well because as I said , it is a fairly rare and desirable model. Your local auction house would no doubt be pleased to see it and will not charge you for an assessment. The costs of restoration would surprise you as clock repairers are notoriously SLOW and Expensive. So a good auction price would make sense. Reserve it of course. Hope that helps. Greg

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks very helpful