joannad330
joannad330,
Experience:  Expert
112148115

I’m looking for an oil pastel by Angelica Kauffman stolen

Customer Question

Hi I’m looking for an oil pastel by Angelica Kauffman stolen from my parents home in May . It’s Madonna and Child .
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Is there any info on the back of the painting, or a certificate of authenticity?
Customer: It was my Fathers . I have some photos of it and photos of it in my parents home . We have a crime ref 42/97280/21
JA: What condition is the painting in?
Customer: Perfect condition
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: It was stolen by a family member.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can send photographs
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My Dad with his oil pastel
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Photo of oil pastel
Expert:  joannad330 replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your appraisal question.

The images that you`ve sent us are really low quality, the painting is practically unrecognizable, completely blurred. I presume you don`t have the possibility to take better pictures since the painting is stolen (really sorry to hear this!). I can give you some idea of what your painting might be worth.... So, genuine Angelica Kauffman painting is worth at least: £300.000 and this is a low estimate of her art. According to the auction data, her artwork was always sold for more than £450.000, some exceeded £600.000. Madonna with a child is a very desirable subject matter for the painting from the 18th century. In my opinion, your painting was worth at least £400.000+. Without better images, I cannot be more specific. I do hope that you will be able to get back your artwork. Stolen paintings are hard to sell, no auction would take painting this expensive without a provenance, certificate, etc...!

Thank you for using Just Answer! Joanna