GregoryH46
GregoryH46,
Experience:  Expert
112228356

I have a silver whiskey flask with an, yes it has an

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a silver whiskey flask with an
JA: Hi there. What would you like to learn about the flask? Does it have unique or identifying markings?
Customer: yes it has an engraved mark at the bottom ‘STSIL VF’. It has a pattern on the front and back
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Do you know how old the flask is? What condition is it in?
Customer: No idea how old it is, condition is excellent.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: There’s a number on the inside hinged part of the lid.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 14 days ago.

This sounds very interesting. Please upload your photos and especially the marks. Then I am sure I can help. Greg

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (QMLMV1V)

Well it looks like a sterling silver hip flask and probably made in India as a copy of the much better English examples that they will have seen there. belonging to the British.

Sterling silver is 92.5% pure and in this country will have been hall marked.

The value will be little more than the value of the silver and to work that out, weigh the flask in grammes.

Divide that weight by 31 to find the weight in Troy ounces (that is how silver and gold are valued). Allow about 50p per gramme in order to get the value of the silver. The flask may be worth a little more than that. Greg