GregoryH46
GregoryH46,
Experience:  Expert
112228356

I have a 1960 Rivington Royal drinks cabinet and would like

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 1960 Rivington Royal drinks cabinet and would like to know If it is worth anything
JA: Hi there. Does the cabinet have a maker's mark or serial number?
Customer: Yes it has makers plaque and product number 2159
JA: What condition is the cabinet in?
Customer: The glass on the drop down is pock marked but apart from that it's is very reasonable condition.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: There should be two bottle brackets on either door. Sadly they are missing from one door
Category: Antiques
Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 9 days ago.
My name is ***** ***** I’m a moderator for this topic! My goal is to help you get the best out of JustAnswer.
Experts are much more likely to answer your question quickly if they can see pictures of your items. Please attach pictures using the information here:
https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Thank you for your help and patience,
Tetyana – Moderator
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 7 days ago.

I will be happy to help if you can please upload one or two pictures of your item. Greg

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
As requested.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
As requested
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 7 days ago.

Thanks. just looking at your photos

Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 7 days ago.

Well in terms of valuation, we have something of a dilemma.

A Google search will discover various outlets advertising such items in the low thousands of pounds. Perhaps a more realistic appraisal would be reached by doing a search of upcoming auctions that are advertising cocktail cabinets for sale.

Please go to  Antiquestradegazette.

Scroll down to a box on the left called    The saleroom.. Click there and do search. You will find cocktail cabinets made between the 1930s and the 1960s approximately.

The valuations will be conservative of course and many will exceed their lower estimate.

Your cabinet looks like walnut and the veneers have been 'halved and matched' to produce the mirror image patterns. This was common from the 1930s onward.

The fact that yours is a good make and is veneered in well figured timbers does raise it from the ordinary. Nevertheless, I would expect a pre-sale estimate for your item of no more than £300/500.

These items are not seen as desirable by most young people setting up homes and there are quite a few that are coming onto the market as houses put together years ago are being sold on.

I do hope that helps. You really do need to ignore the prices asked by online businesses. they can (and do) ask any price they choose. As commercial outlets they can get higher prices than you might expect. Greg