ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.
59032044

I have some old books on Indian birdlife, Game Birds of

I have some old books on Indian birdlife, Game Birds of India Burma and Ceylong published 1879 Vol I and then the Vol III Hume and Marshall
JA: What would you like to learn about the book? Are the pages, cover, and spine in good condition?
Customer: Yes they are
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Do you know if your copy is a first edition?
Customer: I cannot say but they were purchased or inherited in India by family members
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Another book is Indian Ducks and their Allies in similar form
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I could take photos on my cell and send but at this stage prefer just to hear ball park figures
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
File attached (427Q1MP)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I sent a composite photo of the first volume

How wonderful! Today the three volume set can sell for as much as 1200 pounds from antique booksellers and individual volumes bring 250 to 400 pounds at the retail level!

HUME [Allan] and MARSHALL [C. H. T.]

The Game Birds of India, Burmah, and Ceylon.

Calcutta: A. O. Hume and C. H. T. Marshall, [1879. Calcutta:: A. O. Hume and C. H. T. Marshall,, [1879.. First edition..

See: https://www.biblio.com/book/game-birds-india-burmah-ceylon-hume/d/210631879 and https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30859847156

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How very interesting; actually we had the three volumes, then Dad loaned one years ago in India and never got it back and we felt that the man 'purloined it' awkward as a top business colleague... if you get my drift. I have the two volumes, the first in good shape a bit of water damage of water mark variety on some, but in good order. the Third volume is OK but though intact is not in such good order. We also have the fine book Indian Ducks and their Allies. I also have a sort of notebook of Hoghunters' Annual. My late Pa was a colonel in the then Indian Army and still considered a Hero of the Indian Army, only British officer to bring his men out of Singapore Fall in daring escape - truly a legend, happy outsome. Otherwise I wouldnt be here! They were friends of the late great Jim Corbett and we have some of his original books but annotated with scraps of memorabilia and I poured over these as a child. Jim Corbett still a legend in India and most well educated children get to read his experiences. Corbett National Park named after him. I am an author and travel writer. I specialise on India where I was born grew up and return to annually. my own website is thepeacockscall.co.uk We are downsizing and the great array of books now have to be rationalised for that move - inevitable. those books started life in India (recall paging thro with Pa aged 3 in late 1940s - not many nursery books available up country in India!) then back to UK, England, Scotland then out to South Africa and then back to Scotland. I would consider selling these books for a good home. Best Aline Dobbie