Dr-Caravaggio
Dr-Caravaggio, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  Art Historian, Certified Appraiser, Curator, Fmr. Museum Director
111234466

How much is my framed Richard Willis picture of two frigates

How much is my framed Richard Willis picture of two frigates worth
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Do you know how old the item is?
Customer: It was purchased by my late Father for £4,000 in 1989
JA: What condition is the item in?
Customer: Good condition
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Purchased from the Artist in 1989
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can I have an answer to my original question please and how do I attach a photo of my painting?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Please see photo,thanks.Simon Massey

Hello. I’m Art & Antiques ExpertCustomerwith extensive experience in all kinds of antiques and art appraisals. I will be happy to assist you with your query.

I am referring to your question about an oil painting of two British frigates by British artist Richard Willis.

Born in 1924, Richard was honoured as the youngest ever exhibitor at the Royal Academy, where two of his works are hung.

The price quoted above that was paid in 1989 is higher than what can be presently achieved on the secondary market.

A comparable painting with the measurements 73.5 x 99cm was estimated at £800 - £1,200 by Charles Miller Ltd, London, in 2018.

An similar estimate seems to be realistic on the current market, though specialised collectors still might pay higher prices.

Reference:

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/arr-richard-willis-british-b-1924-h-m-s-guerriere-52-c-3844d98b89

If selling is your plan, here are a few helpful suggestions:

Besides Facebook Marketplace, there are also other suitable online classifieds markets for the private sale of antique and vintage items such as Etsy.com, eBay.co.uk and JustCollecting.com.

To save the work of selling on your own, you could go to LoveAntiques.com, Sellingantiques.co.uk, Antiques.co.uk or Vinterior.co – they are all UK-based. There you can find professional antique dealers and consign your item to them if desired.

I hope this has helped you get a better sense of your item.

Thank you very much for your consultation request.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thankyou that has given me a good idea,thankyou once again very helpful.

You're very welcome! It's my pleasure.

Dr-Caravaggio, Certified Appraiser
Experience: Art Historian, Certified Appraiser, Curator, Fmr. Museum Director
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I would like to cancel my just answer membership please thankyou.

For membership related matters, please reach out to JustAnswer's Customer Care team by using their email contact form or at *****@******.*** or by phone.

Phone:

United Kingdom 0***-***-****