ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.
59032044

I am interested in evaluating an antique book that I own.

Customer Question

Hi, I am interested in evaluating an antique book that I own.
JA: Hi there. What would you like to learn about the book? Are the pages, cover, and spine in good condition?
Customer: yes, thei are
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Do you know how old the book is? Is it a first edition?
Customer: It is supposed to be a first edition from 1894, but I want to find if that is accurate.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: It's a Pride and Prejudice Peacock Edition, first edition from 1894
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I tried to upload photos but it doesn't seem to work.
Expert:  ExpertAppraiser replied 14 days ago.

This is a wonderful book and sells for 1800 to 2500 pounds from antique booksellers depending on the condition.

Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice, Hugh Thomson Peacock Edition First

London: Chiswick Press, 1894

This is a beautiful 1894 edition of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and illustrated by Hugh Thomson. Also known as the Peacock Edition because of its iconic cover design. This edition is often referred to as the most beautiful edition of any Jane Austin novel and one of the best illustrated bindings of the Art Nouveau period.

See: https://www.biblio.com/book/pride-prejudice-jane-austen/d/1411744196

Again, thank you and please let me know if I may be of further help with this question.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Do you know how can I tell if this a genuine copy from 1894 or a later edition?

Happy to examine it further please attach pictures of the cover and inside title page.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am very sorry, but I am at work at the moment and can't engage in calls.

JustAnswer has requested that experts direct questions to customer service related to attaching images beyond the how-to, see: https://www.justanswer.com/help/search?f=send+photo and I've sent this to customer service so they can provide personalized help to you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I don't understand. I did upload some photos eventually, I could see them here in chat...
Expert:  ExpertAppraiser replied 13 days ago.

I'm not sure; it didn't attach so I'll opt out as I've sent this to customer service several times now.

Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 12 days ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Tetyana-moderator
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Tetyana, you can close it as I manage to find an answer elsewhere. Thank you for your help!