GregoryH46
GregoryH46,
Experience:  Expert
112228356

I have a couple of antique warming pans - they have brass

Hello my name is Anna , I have a couple of antique warming pans - they have brass lids with ornamental writing , one says God Save King Charles with C and R embossed at one end . Both lids have patterns which have almost been polished out over the years and a circle of small holes near to the outside edge of the lid . The long handles are flat and made of ? wrought iron. I am interested to know their age and value
JA: Hi there. What condition is the item in?
Customer: Reasonably good the sources are still shiny there are some dents at the edges
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appraiser should know?
Customer: I’m not sure what other information is needed
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Measurements : The God save King Charles pan measures 43 inches including a 12 inch round lid and is 4 and a half inches deep . The smaller one is 37 inches long including an 11and a half inch lid and is 4 and a half inches deep. Are you able to call me please in addition to email and reply on this website.

I have been looking at your warming pans.

Usually one would not give much consideration to these items and the standard Victorian ones (as used by my dad when I was very young) have become almost impossible to sell with prices having fallen in the past 20 years from about £75 to less tahn £20.

Still that is not the case here.

Of course the very considerable age of your has resulted in much of the decorative detail being polished away.

The CR may well indicate Carolean origin.

We are talking mid to late 17th century if they are original and that makes for an entirely more buoyant market.

The loss of original decoration would be acceptable and if genuine then they are quite rare items.

They need to be assessed first hand by an expert local to you who will not charge for their advice.

Tell me where you are in the country and let's see if I can help with arranging something. Best wishes. Greg

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you very much for your assessment Greg . I live in Cheltenham and would be grateful if you could recommend a local expert to look at them . Many thanks Anna

I am happy to recommend :-

Mallams

Grosvenor St

Cheltenham

01242 235712

Ring them to arrange for them to inspect your items. Best wishes. Greg

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you Greg that’s great as Mallams are located under a mile away from me. I appreciate your help.
Kind regards Anna