Dec Arts Dictionary
Dec Arts Dictionary, Fine Art Auction Services
Experience:  Expert
110793455

I have 4 items of J&G Meakin Sol 391413. 2 are fairly large

Hi - I have 4 items of J&G Meakin Sol 391413. 2 are fairly large serving dishes with lids - i have used them for vegetables. 2 are smaller and stand on plates - they have lids and china ladles - maybe for sauces...
JA: Hi there. What would you like to learn about the plate? Does it have unique or identifying markings?
Customer: I have seen a photo of it when I googled J&G Meakin Sol patterns - it has the sun with eyes on the back - but I can see that there are lots of different patterns with the same mark and number. How can I find out if they are worth anything?
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. What condition is the plate in?
Customer: Pretty good.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: i can't think of anything else that could be relevant

Hello, I would be happy to look over your chinaware. Please could you send through a clear group photograph and an example of the back stamp found on the underside.

Picture uploads

Click the icon with a  blue square and arrow or the paper clip symbol. A pop up window will appear enabling you to search your phone or computer for the pictures, browse your device for a photo. Add one picture at a time.

https://www.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (3QS25P6)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (T2LM61M)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (MG543LQ)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (S1Z776P)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (3PZ1Q4Q)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (QMZT52Q)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (2S1441L)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (G6SS551)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (3GMQGLZ)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (7S16M65)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (1GZTQSG)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (VP5TT7Z)

Thank you for sending through these photographs of the two terrines and two soup terrines. I particularly love the matching ceramic ladels.

The J&G Meakin company based in Stafordshire, England, were large scale producers of earthenware from the 1850’s.  They were particularly known for their Ironstone china, which was an alternative to porcelain. The back stamp Sol with registration number 391413 was used from 1912, with your set dating from the 1920's. I am afraid that I cannot find the name of this exact pattern but this kind of stylised colourful flowers was a popular design of J&G Meakin.

Today moist ceramic dinning ware / dinner services do not make money at auction so I would suggest you sell via and online market place such as ebay or etsy with a guide price of £350.

If you have any further question do let me know.

For any future valuations, if you wish to contact me directly type “For Jennifer Only” as the first words and I will pick it up. Alternatively use the below link:

http://www.justanswer.com/antiques/expert-jenniferw1121/

I welcome a post valuation review and feedback

Customer: replied 2 months ago.