AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP, AAA
30223878

Any information on this oil Painting?

Customer Question

Any information on this oil Painting ?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 16 days ago.

Good afternoon,

Is it possible to see the back?

Jennifer

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi thanks for getting back so quick
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
At the minute it’s not with me but I had alook at the back myself is there anything your particularly looking for
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I maybe able to give you some kind of information

I can date the piece from the back, from the materials. I suspect this is late 20th century Chinese production art, and I could tell with absolute certainty if I saw the back of the canvas or even the back of the frame.

Chinese production art is hand-painted, usually very well painted too, but in a factory setting. Then it's signed with vaguely European names (usually a first initial and last name), and sent to the US for sale in "starving artist" sales, mall art galleries, framing stores, etc. This was very popular in the 1980s and 1990s.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Argh I see , very interesting . All I can tell you is that the back of the canvas is like hemp woven material and the 4 corners look wedged with wood , the frames wood smooth on the back . I can get a photo tomorrow if that helps ,

Sure, why don't we wait until then? No hurry, it takes a full week for a question to time out.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Yeah that would be great I will get a photo tomorrow . Is there anything particular close up of the back you would need ?

No, just the overall back--at this point in my career, I can date it pretty quickly from that!

Jennifer

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Fab , massively appreciate that will be in touch tomorrow

Great.

jennifer

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Jennifer this is the photo I got sent from where the photo is currently at .
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hope this helps
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 15 days ago.

Having some technical difficulties on my end--will review shortly!

Jennifer

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No problem appreciate it

Got it now!

Yes, later 20th century, 1970s or later. Not necessarily a Chinese factory piece, but definitely a purely decorative piece meant to mimic a 19th century hunt scene. Competent but slightly cartoonish, especially the dogs.

Probably $125-$150 at resale, because it's quite good for what it is.

Please let me know you got this response. You will be able to rate after I get your confirmation, or your additional questions on this item.

If you have additional questions about this item, I am happy to continue working with you. Just continue our discussion in the reply box. I strive to always provide the best service I can. If you felt I left anything out, please let me know how I can help further.

If you’d like to request me for additional questions, please put “FOR JM ONLY” at the beginning of your question or use this link https://www.justanswer.com/antiques/expert-jennem22/

Thanks for joining JustAnswer!

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Fab thank you for your knowledge and time it’s much appreciated love the painting regardless of it’s worth it’s a fab piece of art

You're welcome!

Jennifer