AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP, AAA
30223878

Can I put a photo here to see if it is an old painting, no

Customer Question

Can I put a photo here to see if it is an old painting
JA: What would you like to learn about the painting? Is there any info on the back, or a certificate of authenticity?
Customer: no there seems to be a name but not recognisable
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Do you know how old the painting is? What condition is it in?
Customer: no, I know nothing about it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: only that my husband got it from a car boot and it looks like it was painted in oils and of a scene from a pub in the old days
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 15 days ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Is it possible to upload photos of the item, including any and all marks/signatures? There is NO FEE for adding photos

Methods:

1. BEST OPTION: App/website option: There should be a +ADD FILES feature next to our Send button. If not, then there is a paperclip above the reply box that you click to attach photos. Or there is a document icon with a blue UP arrow. The photos won’t upload unless you also have at least one word in the text box! You won’t see the attached photo along with the text before you post it, but you will see the paperclip or attach button turn green.

2. ONLY AVAILABLE TO SOME ACCOUNTS: Text option: You can send photos one at a time via return text. If you are getting texts from me, that’s your number—just REPLY (do not set up a new text). One photo per text and please make sure that there is at least one word typed in the text too so I can confirm it came in.

3. Social media option: post it with PUBLIC access to Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, and send me the link

4. You can email them to *****@******.*** and ask them to either attach to this thread (give them the link) or forward them to AppraiserJM. This method takes at least a few hours to be forwarded, so try 1-3 above first! And make sure to let me know ASAP if you chose email.

If that doesn’t work, please reach out to Customer Service for help at no additional charge:

https://www.justanswer.com/help/contact-us 1(###) ###-####/p>

I look forward to working with you. Sincerely, Jennifer

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have sent the photo via email.

Jennifer

They do not have them--it has to come from the email address affiliated with your account.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’m not understanding what you are saying but have attached the photo here.
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 14 days ago.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear! But I do have the photo now and I am reviewing.

Jennifer

This isn't a painting, it's a reproduction print on cardboard or paper.

These were extremely popular in the 1930s-1950s, as the European exposure of Americans during the wars created a new interest in art, but it needed to be affordable.

At resale, perhaps $50-$75.

Please let me know you got this response.  You will be able to rate after I get your confirmation, or your additional questions on this item.

If you have additional questions about this item, I am happy to continue working with you. Just continue our discussion in the reply box. I strive to always provide the best service I can. If you felt I left anything out, please let me know how I can help further.

If you’d like to request me for additional questions, please put “FOR JM ONLY” at the beginning of your question or use this link  https://www.justanswer.com/antiques/expert-jennem22/

Thanks for joining JustAnswer!

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What I have been asking is if the painting is really old and of any value and this is all I want to know. I thought for the £5.00 I was going to get some sort of answer!

That's what I told you! I am cutting and pasting it again. Here is the description of what it is, how old it is, and how much it is worth, which I previously posted at 9:19AM EST.

At resale, perhaps $50-$75 US or the equivalent in GBP.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It is definitely not a print as it has been painted with oils and it has not been painted on paper nor do I think card. But thankyou for your help. It’s not what I thought it would be.

These are quite often printed on canvas then glazed with varnish to mimic paint.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Given the extent of fading, I can tell you this is not an oil or acrylic painting.

Jennifer