GregoryH46
GregoryH46,
Experience:  Expert
112228356

We have recently bought a house in Cornwall. The previous

Customer Question

We have recently bought a house in Cornwall. The previous owners left quite a bit of antique furniture. We want to sell it. I have no idea how to price antiques/value/ or how/where to sell. can you give any pointers please
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Does the furniture have a maker's mark or serial number?
Customer: I dont know. I can find out. Where do you look for the mark or serial number? We have a big bed, wardrobes, lamps etc.
JA: Do you know how old the bed is? What condition is it in?
Customer: I have no idea how old the bed is. Nor how to judge the condition.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: It is bronze/metal
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 14 days ago.

I am happy to help if you upload some photos. Greg

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
How do I upload photos?

I will get customer service to help you. Greg

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Greg, As requested here are some quick photos of the antiques we have for sale. We are keen to get your rough idea of value. You can see there is a large metal bed frame, 2 wardrobes and a desk as the main items. We also have bedside units, light fittings and various other pieces. Please can you acknowledge that you can see these OK. Regards, Robert
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 8 days ago.

I have got two photos. The first is a wardrobe that whilst being good quality, is very unfashionable as well as being too large for most people these days. The costs of getting it to an auction house would pretty well match what it would sell for so its not at all economical. The bed probably has a value of only £50 or so because people like to buy new beds and yours is not antique.

No other photos that I can open at present. Sorry. Greg

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Greg - thank you for your prompt and clear reply. We've turned the other photos into JPEGs now so hopefully you can view them. Can you see 1) the smaller wardrobe which is considerably smaller than the big one in last picture, 2) bed side units, 3) roll top desk with many small compartments (sorry for clutter on it) and 4) example of old style light fitting we have many of. What do you think these might be worth? Regards, Liz & Robert
Expert:  GregoryH46 replied 8 days ago.

You have an oak roll top desk. It is the 'S' shape. Most were American imports between the wars. They sometimes need quite a complex key. Like most 'brown ' furniture they have fallen in popularity and £100 would be a good price today. An auction estimate of £50-£80 would seem sensible.  The bedside cupboard is worth £30 or so (each) . The other wardrobe is sadly very plain and has almost no value. No picture of light fittings yet.. Greg