Glenda B. Appraiser
Glenda B. Appraiser, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience buying and selling antiques as a collector and 14+ yrs. as antique store owner. Member of Association of Online Appraisers and AADA.
53729464

Glenda, I’ve got a clock with original receipt from 1953 and

Hi Glenda , I’ve got a clock with original receipt from 1953 and just wondered if it had any value ? At moment not going but I think it’s just the contacts on the battery ?

Hello again

Thank you for asking for me

Sorry I was out running errands and did not get to this within the thirty minutes.

Glenda

In 1931 Smiths, then called S Smith and Sons (motor accessories) Ltd., decided to enter the domestic clock market and formed a new company, Smiths English Clocks Ltd., as the Clock and Watch division of S Smith & Sons (Motor Accessories) Ltd. with Cricklewood as the main factory.

Smiths were one of the first companies to produce synchronous electric clocks. These were put on the market towards the end of 1931. It seems that Smiths formed a subsidiary company called "Synchronous Electric Clocks Ltd" to produce these clocks as the first models are so marked.

In 1932 Smiths purchased a company called "English Clock and Watch Manufacturers Ltd" of Coventry and thus acquired the famous trade names Astral and Empire which they subsequently used extensively. Smiths were one of the first to produce a synchronous alarm clock, shown in advertisements in 1934, which they named the "Callboy"

.

The Smith's Sectric Mantle Clock, 1950's is valued at 100.00-110.00 GBP

If you plan on selling. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
Facebook Marketplace is how most people post things for sale locally.
.
Etsy is a great site.
.
There is also craigslist locally which is free. Ebay is a great option. It does reach a lot of people, but items tend to sell a little lower on there If you do decide to try Ebay, I recommend setting reserves.

.
Glenda

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you Glenda that’s a very informed answer

You are welcome.

It was my pleasure.

Glenda