Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

When I bought my very dark mahogany Victorian dining table,

Customer Question

When I bought my very dark mahogany Victorian dining table, the salesman demonstrated how to lighten the patina with a cloth and solvent. Without damage..he gave me some solvelt but it's all a
JA: What would you like to learn about the dining table? Do you have a maker's mark or serial number?
Customer: ..... evaporated. Can you tell me what solvent I can safely use for this purpose,? No makers name, 3 extending leafs. Heavy turned legs
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Do you know how old the dining table is? What condition is it in?
Customer: Good condition. I dismantled and reglued the leg frame. The oval top in 4 sections is too dark
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Age around 1900 I would think
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Just need to name and source the solvent
Expert:  Wayne replied 11 days ago.

This is Wayne I am working on your question.
*Please post photos by Clicking on the Blue Document Icon next to the Red Send Button.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

Why do you need a photo for a simple technical questio?

Expert:  Wayne replied 11 days ago.

I can't give and advice or appraise this without seeing it. I will opt out of this question so others may be able to help you.
Thanks,
Wayne

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Table surface difficult to access at the moment. I will try and get a photo of the table top tomorrow
Expert:  OleksandraC-admin replied 10 days ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find continuing a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Oleksandra
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
thats fine
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
29 . 11 . 2021 If you cannot help me I would like a refund please