ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.
59032044

I have two books that I would like to sell. They are:

Hello, I have two books that I would like to sell. They are: Letters to a Young Lady by Mrs Chapone
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Are the pages, cover, and spine in good condition?
Customer: Oops! Letters to a Young Lady by Mrs Chapone published 1807 and The Story of a Needle by A.L.O.E. published 1866. Thank you, Cathy
JA: Do you know if your copy is a first edition?
Customer: Sorry, pressed the button too soon there! I don't know I'm afraid. Yes, they are in good condition, I can send you photos.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: There is a hand-written inscription dated 1899 on the inside front cover of The Story of a Needle.

Today this volume sells for 50 to 80 pounds:

CHAPONE, Mrs. (Hester Chapone, 1727-1760)

LETTERS ON THE IMPROVEMENT OF THE MIND, addressed to a young lady

Printed for J. Brambles, A. Meggitt, and J. Waters, by H. Mozley, Gainsborough, London, 1807

This volume sells for 12 to 18 pounds!

A.L.O.E. [A Lady of England]

The Story of a Needle

T. Nelson and Sons, 1866, 1870.

Again, thank you and please let me know if I may be of further help with this question.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

My pleasure!