Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I’m trying to date and value a set of 6 silver cake knives.

Customer Question

JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Does the knife have unique or identifying markings?
Customer: markings are HH&Co S BP(sideways)A1 , a crown, passant lion, P or G
JA: What condition is the knife in?
Customer: perfect
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: case is Bravingtons,***** Kings Cross
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Here are some photos
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Pics
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Pics1
Expert:  Rarewares replied 6 days ago.

Hello, Thank you for your photos. Please bear with me while I put the information together and type my answer. This may take a little time. Rest assured, I am on the case! -Rarewares

Expert:  Rarewares replied 6 days ago.

This is a set of early 1900s silver plated Harrison and Howe knives, in fitted store box, valued at 5 pounds sterling per knife.

Let me know if you have read the answer by writing thank you. I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have related to this answer. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can begin a new request back on the website and start it with @rarewares as the first word (instead of Hi or Hello) in order to have me be the one that helps. Best Regards, Customer/p>

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 6 days ago.

You are welcome. If you would like to ask me about another item, start a new post (not in this chat) on the website www.justanswer.com with @rarewares as the first written word. I specialize in fine and costume jewelry, porcelain, lamps, books, pottery, electronics, glass, radios, furniture, mid-century modern, art, coins, Asian items, silver, gold, figurines, clocks, watches, toys, pocket watches, musical items, and dolls.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I understood that plated would say ESPN and not show a passant lion?
Expert:  Rarewares replied 6 days ago.

I am not able to see the marks (blurry photo) but what you described is BP for Britannia Plate and A1, a designation of silver plate quality.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The handles all clearly show a passant lion and either a fancy P or g
Expert:  Rarewares replied 6 days ago.

Place one knife on a piece of smooth white printer paper and back up a bit more so that I can see the marks. It is possible that the blades are plated and the handles are sterling.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Pic2
Expert:  Rarewares replied 6 days ago.

I am not able to see it. The camera is trying to focus on the paper towel pattern. Place the knife on smooth white paper.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Pic3
Expert:  Rarewares replied 6 days ago.

I still find it very blurry. I do see marks on the handle which would indicate new information that the handles are sterling with plated blades. This changes the value to 170 pounds sterling for the set.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 6 days ago.

You are so welcome.