ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.
59032044

I have a painting on oil which has been in my patents’s

I have a painting on oil which has been in my patents’s house for at least 40 years. It is signed P Chun. It was a gift to my father from an Asian client many years ago. Can you tell me anything about it? It was hated by my mother who had it half hidden in the hall.
JA: What would you like to learn about the painting?
Customer: Is it by the San Francisco artist? Does it have any value!
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. What condition is the painting in?
Customer: It’s in perfect condition but I’ve removed it from its original frame which I still have. My sister has just made a throw away comment about any valúa and in looking on the internet we have discovered others of a similar style which has piqued our curiosity.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: No. I know no more about it
My name is ***** ***** I’m a moderator for this topic! My goal is to help you get the best out of JustAnswer.
Experts are much more likely to answer your question quickly if they can see pictures of your items. Please attach pictures using the information here:
https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Please add photos of up to 3 similar items only per question page.
Thank you for your help and patience,
Tetyana – Moderator

Thanks! Happy to help! A picture would be very helpful as I need a bit more information. You can attach a photo by clicking on the Add Files button; https://www.justanswer.com/help/search?f=send+photo

Hello! A moderator requested that I assist without a photo. While JustAnswer has requested experts assist with all questions, I cannot provide a complete evaluation with the information provided. In absence of a photo I likely cannot provide specific guidance and comparable-supported values. But can provide general information. Generally eBay is still the most useful market for collectible research, but Etsy is a good alternative. For peer-to-peer sales, Facebook Marketplace, Nextdoor and Letgo are all useful alternatives. For comparable research, liveauctioneers.com and EBTH.com are useful to start with descriptive terms.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have been out all day. Here is a photo of the painting

Thanks! I'll reply in a bit!

Thanks! This handsome decorative 1960s to 1970s era painting of Asian "Junk" style boats with a sunset in a palette knife heavy midcentury style has unusually nice colors for the type and while typical examples might sell for 50 to 80 pounds, see: https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m14938811540/ this one could bring 150 to 200 pounds at a shop with a midcentury modern art and antique focus!

Again, thank you and please let me know if I may be of further help with this question.

ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience: USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you for the information. I’m glad my mother didn’t throw it out after dad died!
Wonderful!