Tony T
Tony T,
Experience:  Auction Manager Appraisals at Cobdown Auction
117098776

I have a 1914 riding crop with 18k gold tipped handle. Is it

Customer Question

I have a 1914 riding crop with 18k gold tipped handle. Is it only worth as much as it's gold weight or is this Swaine & Audney riding crop worth more complete.
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. What condition is the item in?
Customer: Fair to worn
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: It is Swaine &Audney it is stamped with a Heart an S a Crown and 18 it also says Sept 24th 1914 ESA and has initials O.C.P
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tony T replied 17 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer today, my name is***** have 16 years of experience across the field of antiques, supported by a Master’s Degree (with Distinction) in Antiques awarded by the University of Central Lancashire in the UK. I am happy to help with your question today. Please bear with me as I may need to ask you some clarifying questions. Thank you!

Hi, the crop will have widespread appeal to the equestrian community, if in good condition, it should achieve a sale price of up to £300 and possibly a little more. This is a nice item also it is an antique as it is over one hundred years old a further bonus.

My goal is to provide you with an excellent service. If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to ask – I am happy to help further

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

· Simply reply back if you require additional information and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. Thank you and I wish you the best.

Tony

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (6V5M1S3)
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
163;16 to talk by phone are you having a laugh
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I've just paid £5 just to get your opinion lol
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Is it worth more as a whole or broken up for it's gold?
Expert:  Tony T replied 17 days ago.

Firstly I don't do phone calls as they can prove expensive for the customers. The item is worth more intact. The gold content  will be factored into it's sale price.  As I said it may very likely sell for a greater price than I appraised, as I like to err on the side of caution..

I hope this helps.

Tony

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Oh ok but it was this web site that recommend the phone call. Want to switch to a live phone call?We can talk on the phone to make it easier to get the help you need.Amount: £16Call me
By clicking "Call me" you agree to the additional amount and to credit the Expert.
Expert:  Tony T replied 17 days ago.

Yes the site prompts for phone calls which I chose to ignore as it can become expensive.

Tony

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Okay no worries. Thank you for the information. Regards Ian.
Expert:  Tony T replied 17 days ago.
No problem at all. It is a lovely item and will do well.

Tony