Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.
66811035

I hve been gifted a very large antique mirro and I wanted

Customer Question

I hve been gifted a very large antique mirro and I wanted some information on what it’s worth and what era it would hve come from
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. What condition is the item in?
Customer: item is in pristine condition no damage at all
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: No
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (P1TT572)
Expert:  Frank replied 10 days ago.

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.

Based on what I can see in the photos, this appears to be a late 19th century piece. It has Victorian accents with a Folk touch with the carved face. We started to see these types of pieces come into prominence more toward 1900 towards the transition out of the Victorian era. Common themes were deities, and natural carvings that signified a return to the roots of an overly industrialized culture.

The mirror which is decorated in acanthus, flowers, fruits and nuts is composed of a heavily carved oak.

In the current market you would be looking at retail asking prices between 800GBP-1200GBP.

A fair market value would be somewhere closer to 500GBP -600GBP if you were selling the piece yourself in a secondary market setting.

I hope this information was helpful to you today. Best,Frank

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Wow thank you that’s very interesting I had no idea what the face is though seems like a strange animal it’s around a more and a half wide so very large and beautiful
Expert:  Frank replied 8 days ago.

You are very welcome. If you ever need my help in the future you can always request me by putting @Frank in your question.

Take Care,

Frank