marks699
marks699,
Experience:  dasdasd
112996622

I have a carved marble jesus figure which is over 100 years

I have a carved marble jesus figure which is over 100 years old. I would like to get some more information on this please.
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. What condition is the item in?
Customer: very good
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: how can i upload a photo

Hi, this is Mark with JA. I’ve been in the antiques and art business for nearly half a century. I think I can help with the carved statue. Can you send some photos? An overall shot, a close-up well-focused detail or two, one of the back or underside, and a good, clear shot of the maker’s marks or signatures, if any?

Also, please include dimensions of the statue.

Photos should be attached to this thread. Here’s some help with sending files. Look for any of these links, depending on the device and browser you are using (see attachment). If that doesn’t work, try this link for more help: https://www.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert. If all else fails, try calling Customer Service at(###) ###-#### and they should be able to help. Also, if you’re using a smartphone, JustAnswer has a free phone app.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (757PGZS)

Got the photos.  Thanks.

Wednesday morning and I’m just getting started. I have some questions ahead of you, but I promise I won’t lose you, OK?

Also how tall is the statue?  Anything else you can tell me about how / where / when you acquired it?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
16" tall 5" widest part. It belonged to my nan and grandad and is over 100 years old. Not sure where they acquired it from though. It is very heavy piece.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi just checking your still there
Still here.  Two more to go before I get to yours.  Hang in there....
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
ahh ok no problem.

Back on it.  Sorry for the wait.  Checking now....

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
THANKS

I studied the image as closely as possible.  My feeling is that it is probably of French or Spanish origin, possible 19th century or so.  Resale value £800-£1000.

But I have to admit there is a possibility I could be wrong and it could be older than that.  Sometimes it is very difficult to judge the age of stone works in this Internet format.  But here's a way that you might get some further confirmation for free:

Contact the "big three" auction companies. www.christies.com , www.bonhams.com and www.sothebys.com .  You can  request an evaluation from any of them via their website and their evaluation submission form by email.  Chances are if your item isn't worth £5000 or more, they won't be interested and may not even bother to return your email.  That would tend to confirm my evaluation.  If you do hear back from them and if they are interested, then you might have a good shot at a bigger value.

Best of luck with it. If you’d like my personal help with any other items, please feel free to start another question (not in this chat window) by going back to www.justanswer.com and starting a new one. If you wish, you can ask for me by my screen name,Customer. Start the question with "FOR MARK APPRAISALS ONLY..." and I should be able to find it. You can also use either the "Ask me a new question" feature on your “My Questions” page or to add me to your Favorite Experts list if you would like to connect with me again. You can also use this link to reach me directly: https://www.justanswer.com/antiques/expert-marks699/ Cheers! Mark

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
That is very helpful information. I have tried searching with the description but nothing like it comes up. Do you confirm it is Jesus and holding a bible a bible possibly?

My feeling is that it is probably representative of a saint, rather than the Savior himself.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ah ok, thank you.

My pleasure!