Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

Did you give appraisals? yes, poor buts its tarnished silver

Hi, did you give appraisals?
JA: The Antiques Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Do you know how old the item is?
Customer: yes
JA: What condition is the item in?
Customer: poor buts its tarnished silver from 1909. needs a goog polsh
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: i know the origin etc just unsure whether to scrap or sell as an antique

Hello, I'm Rarewares. Let's get started! Add photos of the item (preferably on white paper) and any writing on the bottom or back. I will answer in writing once I review the pictures, research, and write the answer. Best Regards, Rarewares

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Here are the pictures. I hope they help. I have Sheffield made by Mapin Brothers. Sterling silver 1909. weighs around 250grammes. I would like a valuation to decide whether to sell as an antique or sell as scrap.

Please back up so that the maker marks are in focus (the diamond and three symbols)

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
should be better

This is a 1909 Mappin Brothers of Sheffield, England sterling silver footed salver with a family motto, valued at 125 pounds sterling in scrap and 225 as an antique.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
would you recommend a polish before selling as an antique?

Absolutely, yes.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
whee is the best place to sell? auction?

For the UK, preloved.com, selency.uk, loveantiques.com, justcollecting.com are good sites if you are planning to sell.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
That's great. Thank you ever so much for your help and advice. I'll get polishing then. thanks again

You are welcome. Start new requests back on the website (not here) with the written word "@Rarewares" within the message (even if you clicked on a link in my profile). If you are unable to find how to ask a new question, use this link (be sure you are signed in to your account so it recognizes you) and write RAREWARES there under my photo where it says "Ask a Question" https://www.justanswer.com/antiques/expert-rarewares/ I specialize in fine and costume jewelry, porcelain, lamps, books, pottery, electronics, glass, radios, furniture, mid-century modern, art, coins, Asian items, silver, gold, figurines, clocks, watches, toys, pocket watches, musical items, and dolls.