Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

Fridgidaire fridge freezer

Hello, I have a 'frost-free' Fridgidaire fridge freezer and the bottom freezer drawer is iced in half way up. Can I de-ice it by placing a bowl of hot water in it? Or is there anything else I can do to de-ice it?

Repairman1981 :

The easiest way to not do any damage is to turn it off for 24 hours. However if it's frosting up something is broken. Either the heater, defrost terminator or the board/timer. Would need to know the type fridge to help you open it up and diagnose they why. But to answer your question unplugging 24 hours is the easiest way to thaw

Customer:

We have lots of food that will spoil and was looking for a way to deal with it within a few hours. Does that not seem possible?

Turning it off, putting the food in coolers, and turning it back on can definitely save the food. It will run at least a week till it quits again. Plenty of time to get parts etc. But no there's no magic button to make it start working. If you want me to walk you through repairing I'm happy to do so. Need your make and model number to help with that.