KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Hi, I have an American style Amana fridge freezer with a water

I have an American style Amana fridge freezer with a water and ice dispenser model XRSS287BB. The water dispenser has stopped working (the ice dispenser is fine) and the water indicator light has gone out. I've tried re-starting it. The water filter is quite new and it won't reset with a long 'light and lock' long press.
What else can I try?

Thanks,

Steve Hutchings

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is the unit ?

Customer:

at least 7 years here when we moved in - no more than 10.

KevinWhiteJA :

ok thanks

KevinWhiteJA :

by water filter do you mean the water inlet valve ? Is it already replaced ?

Customer:

no the internal cylinder filter itself.

Customer:

how would I check to see if the water was refilling the ice maker i.e. the water was getting in?

Customer:

Can I check the water inlet valve?

KevinWhiteJA :

ok if the dispenser switch is fine then you will have to check the water inlet valve

KevinWhiteJA :

the valve is located inside the back of the unit

KevinWhiteJA :

Check this image ....part no. 18 in this image is the water inlet valve

Customer:

ok the water light on the front panel has gone out too

KevinWhiteJA :

these units come with a dual valve so even when the ice dispenser works fine replacing the complete valve assembly is recommended

Customer:

Would a dodgy valve affect the light on the front?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes because the control will sense there is no water and so the light wont work..

Customer:

ok thanks. the unit is quite old any idea of cost of valve? The option is replacing the whole thing knowing it will work fully for a few years at least

Customer:

and where would I get this inlet valve?

KevinWhiteJA :

are you willing to replace the valve yourself ?

Customer:

it looks straightforward.... famous last words!

Customer:

how long would a f/freezer like this be expected to last? 10 years seems a long while perhaps it would be better to replace it now and forget the repair.

KevinWhiteJA :

the valve will cost around £35...it really depends on the usage...let it remain as it is till the time it is working fine :) if you want to replace it then you can however, I still believe it might work another 3-5 years after the valve is replaced

KevinWhiteJA :

you will have to check with a local store if you are able to get the valve...unfortunately it is not available online

Customer:

if its not online what sort of store would stock it??

KevinWhiteJA :

a local store...it is available with some U.S websites...however, honestly I am not sure if they ship here or not

Customer:

like wickes or a plumbing supplies type place?

KevinWhiteJA :

yes you can check with them or you can contact the manufacturer directly at 0844(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Customer:

ok thanks - I'll probably give the repair a go if I can get the part. The replacement looks straightforward and easily accessible.

KevinWhiteJA :

Please check this Video...as you are going to replace it yourself, it will help you

KevinWhiteJA :

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges....Is there anything else I can assist you with today ?

Customer:

No just checking I got the video - thanks for your help

Thank You :)