Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Hotpoint EW62 cooker : one of the hob element switches now

Hotpoint EW62 cooker : one of the hob element switches now operates the element in an on or off mode but does vary with the 1-6 positions on the knob and so does not allow simmering. Do I need to replace the switch or the element and how do I remove the hob to do that?
Thanks for your help.
Hiya,
Sorry, you question isn't too clear.

Do you mean the element comes on full setting regardless of the position?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, that's correct. I can turn the element off by selecting '0' but any other position results in the element remaining on at full power.

Hiya,
OK, that's normally the regulator that has failed. (the switch marked 1 to 6)

If you obtain and fit a new regulator it will cure the problem.

To fit it, you do need to access the fixings behind the facia and the wiring under the hob.

Check it out, see what you find and get back to me if you need more help.

Obviously, if you cannot take the appliance apart and access the wiring and components, you'll need to get someone in to do it for you.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK so I need to change the regulator. Thanks for that.

Can you please tell me how to access the wiring at the back of the regulator and the regulator mounting?

Hiya,
If you click on the link below it will download the 2 relevant paragraphs from the service manual.
It should help you gain access to the wiring and the regulator.
Ignore any parts that are not relevant.

Click here for the instructions.

Hope this helps