Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.

I have a prima electric hob LPR877 (I think). One of the hobs

I have a prima electric hob LPR877 (I think). One of the hobs is not responding to the switch and is constantly on....the only way to switch off is through the mains. As soon the mains are switched on again....the hob is on again....driving us crazy

If the element is coming on on its own then im afraid the control unit will need to be replaced.

As on the board each element has its own relay. You will find the relay for that element is faulty which is causing this fault.

The way to fix this is to replace the control board. To do this you need remove the hob and then remove the glass top.

From there you can access the control board and swap it over from there.

But these boards are very expensive. You are looking at £285 just for the part im afraid.

Sorry this isn't good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is it worth it for this price? it is probably worth buying a new one??? Is this a normal thing to happen....isn't this crazy in a world of technology- it's disposable's only six/seven years old????

At that age I don't think its worth fixing. I would put the money towards a new hob.

Its the way they build them now. Its all electronic so when they go its the main board and very expensive.

The best ones are the ones that have there own switch you turn as if one them goes you can just replace them for a few ££.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Can you recommend one- I won't hold you to it!!!!

There isn't much out there due to the size of your hob as this is 77cm wide hob were as most are 60cm wide.

But there are a few click here for a rangemaster hob there are a decent make.

Is there anything else you need?

If not if you could rate the answer that would be great.