Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK

I have a Creda ceramic hob model 42297 and the 1.8kW Solarspeed

I have a Creda ceramic hob model 42297 and the 1.8kW Solarspeed ring has just stopped working. Would you know if I need to get a technician to call or would you know which spare part I should purchase?

Without taking the appliance apart and testing the element with a multimeter it's not possible to say which part is required.

Most likely, it's either the element, the regulator (control switch) or both.

If you can take the appliance apart and test the element, you'll be able to narrow the fault down.
If not, you'll need to get someone in to repair it.

British Gas and Knowhow (Currys) both offer fixed price repair plans that include parts and labour.

How are your diy skills?
Would you be able to take the hob out and take it apart to check it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll contact currys and get someone to repair it for me as I am not able to check these things myself. Thank you for your recommendations.

You're welcome.

The fixed price repair would probably work out the most economic.

Good luck with the repair.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Currys couldn't help because the hob is about 17 years old. I decided to contact the manufacturer who quoted me a price for repair which would be similar to purchasing a new hob, therefore I have decided to buy a new hob. I should have phoned the manufacturer in the first before spending the £22. However I appreciate that you could do no more than you have done to assist me.

Sorry to hear that.

British Gas? did you try them?
They charge £125 inclusive of parts and labour but no charge if they can't repair.

Local repairer? Copy and paste the following into a new browser window.

Fill in your details and it will list repairers in your area.
Call them and discuss the job with them, they may be able to help.