How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Techdesk Your Own Question
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 16409
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Techdesk is online now

I have an Ariston A1636 with a leaking inlet valve. The leak

This answer was rated:

I have an Ariston A1636 with a leaking inlet valve. The leak seems to be between the valve/dispenser assembly and the rear hose coupling (attached with a single screw to the rear panel. It looks as if some type of hard glue is used to seal the two and this has failed.

What type of glue/mastic should I use to reseal the joint?
Is this the dispenser body with the valves into the dispenser?

Not sure what you mean by rear hose coupling.
Is this the rubber insert that the valve goes into?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, a combined dispenser and valve assembly.


The "rear hose couping" is a while nylon bush which fits into the back panel, held with a screw. The cold hopse is screwed onto the bush as the back of the machine.


The inlet valve assembly fits into the back of the bush. I would have expected there to be a rubber washer type of seal but instead there are remains of what looks like hard mastic (hard white deposit which can be scraoped off with a screwdriver.


I hope that helps?

OK, sorry, might be being a bit dense.

If I'm looking at the correct part, the Bush is the extended part that goes through the rear panel to the inlet hose.

It screws onto the part the valves are fitted to.

If this has been taken off, scrape all the mastic off and use silicon sealant to join them together again.

Let me know if this is the correct thing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.



I think you are understanding the problem.


I would have expected the "bush" to be permanently fixed to the inlet value assembly. When I dismanted the assembly it was clear that they were not joined and that was where the water leak was coming from. I assumed at the time that the two parts must have broken apart, probably as a result of the water freezing in the assembly.


When the new inlt value assembly arrived today, it was clear that it was not in fact joined to what I refer to as the "bush"..Do you think silicon sealant will withstand the water pressure? As I say, the sealant used before is very hard.

Water freezing is a common cause of it leaking.

Yes, once it's "gone off" the silicon will withstand it.
They've used a mastic when it was assembled instead of silicon.
If you can find some, then you could use that, but it does go brittle.

Zanussi have a similar thing (looks a bit different though) and they use a "rubber" seal instead.

We've used silicon to repair these in the past with no problems.
Trouble with it, you may have trouble getting it apart again in the future.

Copy and paste the following into a new browser window. It's the stuff we carry on the van.

Hope this helps
Techdesk and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you