How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Your Own Question
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 17410
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Daniel is online now

Island extractor fan. water got in from leek upstairs. fan

This answer was rated:

Island extractor fan. water got in from leek upstairs. fan is working but lights are not. Can hear switch click but lights won't come on. Is there a fuse somewhere inside?



Can you post the model number please.



Customer: replied 3 years ago.

model number is ISL5SS



Ok thanks for that.


There is a fuse on the control board but as the fan is working I don't think the fuse will be the cause of the problem as if that fuse is faulty im pretty sure it cuts the complete hood out.


To access the board you need to remove the filters an look under there. There you should see the board under there.

If its not there then you need to remove the chimney section at the top of the hood and the board is there. As some models the board is in the chimney section and others its behind the filters.


Check that board and see if theres any signs of burning on there. If that's ok then its usually the transformer in there that stops the lights from working.

Check the wiring as if there was a leak it could have dripped onto the transformer and burnt it out.


Check them and see what you find. But I think you may find the transformer could be the cause of this.



Daniel and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you