Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.

I have a Siemens fridge freezer and the fridge part has just

I have a Siemens fridge freezer and the fridge part has just blown there is no light and I have put in a new fuse but to no avail it still does not work, the freezer part is okay and working well can you help me?

Can you post the full model number please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The model number is ***** FD 6812 and is roughly 20+ years old and this is the first time that I have hadany bother with it, it has been a great fridge,and this wouldh\ave to happen when I am in the process of selling my flat.

Ok the model number you have posted is for an under counter fridge only not a fridge freezer.

Is that correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Daniel,

My fridge is built in ith the kitchen surround and therefore is on top of the freezer separated by small division and has a plug of its own.

Ok that's fine its the correct one I was looking at as its separate from the freezer.

Ok its not the fuse then its either the thermostat or the compressor relay. To see which is at fault you need to remove the light fitting inside the fridge and make sure its unplugged.

From there you will see the thermostat. Check the wiring there and see if its burnt out.

If it looks ok then if you have a multimeter then you can test it. Meter between tags 3 and 4 and see if theres a reading there. If there is then the thermostat is fine.

In this case you need to pull the fridge out from the unit and look at the back you will see the compressor at the bottom.

On the left side of this is a plastic cover. Remove this cover and you will see a relay in there with the wiring.

Have a look at this and see what its like as if the thermostat is ok and it went with a bang and burining smell then its more then likely the over load relay has burnt out and will need to be replaced.

So check that out and see what you find. If you need anymore info just get back to me.