How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask George-Allsorts Your Own Question
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 1448
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
George-Allsorts is online now

our house was built in 1962 and fitted with a Baxi open fire

This answer was rated:

our house was built in 1962 and fitted with a Baxi open fire with under floor air supply pipe to an outside wall.
We have just been asked to have cavity wall insulation carried out, the installers insisted it was necessary to have a 150mm air vent in the wall to comply with current building regs, I do not think the fire will operate correctly with additional air in the room, it rather defeats the advantage of the Baxi for no draughts in the room.
I have not had the cavity insulated in view of this.
Please let me know the current position on this type of installation.
Sincerely G.K.Harris.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting responses, I'm not constantly available.

George-Allsorts :

The building regulations 2010 Combustion Appliances and Fuel Storage Systems Approved Document J2. state that the type and amount of ventilation is as follows... a permanently open air vent with a total equivalent area of at least 50% of the cross-sectional area of the flue (ie. 8" flue then 4" permanently open air vent) must be in place.

George-Allsorts :

Please take a moment to rate my assistance using the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me and my assistance and nothing else.

JACUSTOMER-tppy1hd4- :

The flue liner fitted to the chimney is 6'' dia and the air inlet pipe under the floor is 3'' dia, this appears to meet the requirement you show, please let me know if the additional 150mm air vent in the wall is not necessary.

George-Allsorts :

According to the regulations, the current air supply pipe to your system seems adequate ... I can only advise you to contact you Local Building Control at you County Council offices to gauge their opinion regarding the air-brick requirement. You can now access the advice of your local Building Control office free of charge.

George-Allsorts and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you