How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Plumberpro Your Own Question
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 634
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Plumberpro is online now

I am used to paying annual gas cert tenants,

This answer was rated:

I am used to paying for the annual gas cert for my tenants, but this year an unusual additional charge had been added - "Just to let the know the Gas Safety certificate has cost £192 as opposed to the usual £75 - £80. There was an extra 3 hours labour for stripping the burner and checking the correct injector was in place."
Could any Gas Engineer enlighten me as to why this work might have been necessary?
Hi . if the boiler was badly in need of a service and therefore dangerous, the engineer would have had the option of either, capping of the boiler as I'd ( immediately dangerous ) or doing the service.
However in all cases the engineer should have contacted you first ,if possible to ask you or inform you first .as if an appliance has to be capped off the owner has to be asked permission first.
I don't know if you were available or were called to ask .
If the engineer couldn't reach you , they may have felt the best thing was to do the service instead of cap off the boiler and leave your Tennant's with no heat or hot water .
Ask your boiler guys what their policy is in that situation .
If its a policy you don't like then change them
Plumberpro and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you