canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

Please could you help with my washing machine, which won't

please could you help with my washing machine, which won't spin, wash, drain, anything
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Is there any error code on the display? There is only the filters on the water intake and the pump filter. The filter you cleaned at the front is the pump filter. When you cleaned it was it quite clogged? If it had been a long time since the last filter cleaning it may have immediately gotten clogged again. The filter will get backed up and there may have still been debris in the chamber so the next time you used the machine it immediately got clogged again or the filter is not seated properly. It also would not be a bad idea to check the discharge hose for any blockage. If the drain that the discharge hose empties into is clogged that would be the only other issue causing this. If you have a large bucket then remove the discharge hose from the drain and lower it to the rim of the bucket and see if gravity will empty some of the water out. If no water comes out of the hose then disconnect the hose from the back of the machine and check for any bl
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is no error code showing. When i cleaned the filter it wasn't very clogged - just a bit of fabric which i removed. How do i check the discharge hose? i don't know where this is ...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i need to spend another 10 mins finishing some work first, but if you let me know where the discharge hose is ill check in 10 mins
Pull the machine away from the wall a bit and you will see the discharge hose on the back. It will be placed in the drain pipe and possibly clamped to the drain pipe. When you direct the hose to the bucket the water should drain out when you remove the hose from the drain and lower it to the bucket. To stop the water just raise the hose again if you need to empty the bucket. Be aware that disconnecting the hose from the machine will allow any water in the machine to drain out so empty it the best you can before disconnecting from the machine. There is no need to disconnect the hose from the machine if lowering the hose empties the machine. The goal is to find if there is a blockage in the hose.
If the machine seems to drain right out of the hose no problem then pour that water down the drain that the hose was discharging to. If the drain pipe just fills up and the pipe does not seem to drain then the issue is not with the machine at all and is a blockage in the drain piping itself. In that case you will need to snake the drain out with a drain cleaning tool or have a service come and clear the drain pipe with specialized tools.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. i'm back on the case. I've pulled out a hose from the back and water is emptying out. is that a good thing?
Yes it is. Now if you will empty that water into a bucket and then pour it down the drain pipe. When you do this does it gurgle or back up? Is the water coming out of the hose quit slowly? Just a trickle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all the water is going into a bucket - there is lots of water!
Yes, all the water that is inside the machine. Was the drain hose clamped to the drain pipe or was it set inside the pipe? All you have to do is raise the drain hose higher than the water in the machine to stop it when you need to empty the bucket. Maybe once the machine is empty then dump the water into the drain pipe.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its coming out quickly - now on bucket 3 - i'm tipping it all down the sink - not drain pipe. The drains are outside ...
Very good. So is this washing machine a top loading machine or front loading machine? Is the door on the front or the top?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
front loading.
Did anything at all come out of the hose besides water? Any lint or anything? All drained out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its still emptying and coming out quite fast! Nothing else has come out - just water - and it still keeps on coming
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its slowing down now - i think it will stop soon
Very good. Maybe dump the last bucket down the drain for the machine and see if you are getting good flow there. Was the drain hose clamped to the drain or was it just set inside the drain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the drain hose was clamped to the back of the machine. i don't know what you mean by the drain ... it's still emptying by the way, but more slowly
So, you disconnected the hose from the machine? The other end of that hose is where I was wondering where it went and what type of connection that end makes to the waste pipe?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i went outside and found a pipe coming out of the wall in what could be the right place, with no water coming out of it at all even though i've just put another bucket down the sink ... i dont understand where all this water is going- i think may need help here at the house
To be clear, you are outside and have now emptied the machine by disconnecting the drain hose outside?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no - i havent disconnected anything outside. I was going to try but it was too stiff. is that what i need to do? the water is STILL coming out of the machine.
No, just trying to get a clear idea of where you are draining the water from. So, on the back of the machine near the bottom? Does it sound like there is any water entering the machine through the fill hose? The water is getting lower in the machine, right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If you're looking at the front of the machine, on the left hand side (but at the back) is a pipe - and that's the one that is still draining water, but much less now. The drum inside has felt empty for hours but obviously couldnt have been
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it doesn't sound as if there is any water coming in, and there is no sign of water coming in
Very good. Will you post a picture of where you are draining the water from and also a picture of where the other end of the hose would drain to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i don't know where the other end of the hose goes! It goes behind a unit attached to the wall. The hose is high up on the machine btw. I'll take a photo but im not sure how i send it ... it may take a while! Waters still coming out btw
I think I have a link for directions on how to attach a photo.....coming soon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it's just stopped draining. At last.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i was wrong. it hadn't stopped at all, the bucket had overflowed and the water had been going straight onto the floor and so i couldn't hear it. i just want to stop and get on with my life now, but i don't think i'll be able to get the pipe back on to the machine. is there any other way of just stopping the flow?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i've managed to screw the pipe back on.
Now have to spend time mopping up all the water. Is the machine ever going to work again do you think?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
off to launderette this evening ):
I am so sorry for the delay. My computer decided it was time for an update. There must be a blockage in the drain pipe that is preventing the machine from draining. If you turn the stop valves off on the water supply maybe the reason for it not emptying is that the water valve is not turning off in the machine. Still typing.....
I believe there to be two issues, the water valve in the machine is not stopping the water from entering. It may not make any noise that shows that but the solenoid may not be engaging properly and turning the water completely off. Also the drain pipe itself has a blockage in it that is slowing the outlet water. If it is cold there and the drain pipe just goes outside it may even be frozen. If you can find where that drain terminates you will very likely find a blockage there. Could be ice and could be if it is draining out in the yard that there is a blockage at the end. It seems to be draining some but not well. The water valve is not very difficult to replace if you quite handy.
The water valve will short out if there is a blockage in the drain pipe and the water is restricted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It cant be frozen - i will have to get someone out to have a look. i'm too tired and need to get to the launderette sadly. Thanks for trying to help though.
If the drain terminates outside then the end may have a screen on it that is filled with debris or some mud etc. Here is the link on how to attach pictures. Click here If you remove the blockage then you could use your machine but when you are done you would want to unplug the power and turn the stop valves off until you can get the water valve in the machine serviced. The machine will work again but needs a little bit of service. If you are quite handy it is a project for the handy. The machine would require a little surgery though.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i'll have to get someone in to sort it out, thanks
You are very welcome.