How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dales-Electronic Your Own Question
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 1466
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Dales-Electronic is online now

I have a Neff American fridge freezer and the water pipe supplying the chilled filt

This answer was rated:

Hello. I have a Neff American fridge freezer and the water pipe supplying the chilled filtered water has cracked. Can this be replaced and if so how much
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - where is it cracked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In 2 places on the pipe that goes into the door. Firstly near the connector which was repaired by cutting out the damaged section of pipe but the second one is where the pipe enters the door.
OK is it actually broken in the door or have you got a bit left outside the hinge?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry it is just inside the door
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you want the model number of the fridge freezer?
Yes please, the full ENr please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
K3990x6gb/02 side by side fridge freezer
There is no repair kit or anything similar for this - the only way is to replace the door However, I have done this before with some success but it depends on how hands on you are and if you are prepared to have a go?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. The guy who installed the unit 10 years ago had tried but could not find a spare from neff. It has gone because of the stress on the pipe and I had expected that we are not the first customers to have the issue so I was hoping a solution existed without replacing the door.
The pipe used is 6mm but if you get a piece of 1/4" copper pipe and bend it to 90 degrees it is possible with the use of a hair dryer to get the plastic pipe in the door warm and slide the copper pipe inside the plastic pipe. Once the plastic pipe goes cold it shrinks enough to seal the gap between the two. Its not an easy job and requires the door to be taken off and laid on a bench or table but it is doable. That's the best that you can do, because you cant pull the pipe out as it has been sealed in with the insulation during manufacture. If it works you just then use pushfit connectors on the other end of the bend and the supply pipe. You have little to lose and much to gain if it goes right.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for the advice. I don't suppose you do work in Sussex?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Or know someone who could does?
To be honest I don't know anyone who would try, there are too many legal ramifications if it goes wrong, its more of a diy solution. As an example from a business point of view, I do this repair and its OK for six weeks and then whilst you are out it springs a leak and damages your flooring. As a company I would be required to repair/replace the flooring. These days engineers don't take any risks its too costly.
Dales-Electronic and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your help and advice.
A pleasure, would you now kindly rate the information by using the star rating system at the top of the page, once done all further questions in the future are free of charge so feel free to come back to me if you need further help. Thanks for using JA and have a great evening - Ian