Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.

Just finished cleaning a CDA CD 601 Oven. Appliance switches

Just finished cleaning a CDA CD 601 Oven. Appliance switches on ok but when trying to switch oven to heat anything, it trips out the electrical circuit. Any quick fixes?
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - OK can you switch on the grill without it tripping the electric?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I've got power to the oven (light on, clock working) but switching on the heating elements (grill or oven) causes the electric to trip.
OK it sounds like you have either got water in one of the switches or one of the oven elements has blown. How handy are you with tools?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Probably, competant enough to take it apart
OK firstly get it out of its enclosure and on top of a workmate or something similar - then take the top cover off where the switches etc are and get your hair dryer in there for a few minutes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ian Thanks for the advice. I've got family coming in 2 hours so I'm going to have to defer the work until tomorrow. If this does not cure the problemis there any furthe steps I can take?
You will need a new rear tub half, the bearing set and a new spider (hopefully the front tub section will still be watertight and not too damaged. Regarding other steps, to be honest you need to decide if you want to spend the money on this one OR cut your losses and buy a new one, there isn't much in between other than falling across a second hand drum assembly.
Please ignore that above it was for another client. Once you have dried it out we can then have a look at the elements whilst it is out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ian. Mine is the cooker problem, I suspect this is for a washing machine
Yes sorry Im dealing with about 5 at the same time, I did ask you to ignore my post - when you have got it out and want to proceed come back to me _ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I'll be in touch.
Look forward to it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ian. It's now out and Ive been into the control panel and it's dry. Still trips the electric so I'm tempted to think it's the element. Is replacing the element(s) and economic thing to do? It's about 8.5 years old? How can I tell if it's the element around the fan or the grill element? Is there an easy way to test them? Clive
Are you still connected up to the electric?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not at the minute but I can plug it into anoth socket
OK well when you are good to go give me a should and we can see if we can find the problem. You will need to take the back off
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Back is off, plugged in, ready to go.
OK you have four different elements to look at and it is vitally important at this stage that you note down on a piece of paper which wire goes to which connector otherwise we will be in a mess as I dont have a wiring diagram at home for this model. The elements are - from the top -
a. Grill element
b. Top oven element, these are combined the inner loop is the grill element whilst the outer loop is the top oven element.
You may have three or four wires here it depends if the neutrals are joined on the element + sometimes an earth Whichever note down which wire goes to which.
c. The fan oven element, the connectors are near the fan. Two wires to the element + sometimes an earth. Mark down the wiring
d. Bottom oven element, two wires + sometimes and earth.
Make sure and double check that you have everything down on your piece of paper and when you have come back to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All written down. Would this be easier if I rang you?
Give me your number and I'll call you back.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for all your patience. Really appreciate it. Clive
Good to talk to you Clive, glad we got it sorted between us, always a pleasure to help someone who wants to have a go. Take care and Happy Holidays.