How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Your Own Question
Michael, Customer Service
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 9568
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Michael is online now

HiI've just bought a sailing boat which has a Flavel Vanessa

This answer was rated:

I've just bought a sailing boat which has a Flavel Vanessa (I think) two-hob gas cooker with grill and oven, but it has no gimbals or pot rails. Please: is it possible to buy these as separate items? If so, where and how much approx? And what distance would be required on either side of the cooker in order to fit the gimbals into the space that's there?
Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.May I have the full model # ***** the Flavel Vanessa? Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Michael, I don't have a model number and can't get one as the boat is many hours away. The best I can do is send you a photo of it in situ. I imagine it is quite old, maybe 10 or 15 years (the boat itself was built in 1973 but I am certain the cooker is much newer and it's not in bad condition. But it's fixed in place and since I'll be sailing in the Atlantic I need to have it on gimbals and to have fittings which will hold pots in place. These are common on boat cookers, of course. Is it possible for you to identify possible gimbals and fittings from the photo? Sorry I don't have more info. Regards, Heather
Good morning Heather,Yes you can use a basic gimbal setup for this.Please check out this site first of all, its about whether to use or not ? Just a discussion forum. Here is where you can get the things you need to hold your pots in place. As for a gimbal set up, I would talk to someone from a local marine store for that because they can tell you what they stock and what will install on that particular range with ease;-) In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,There is NO cost to rate Kindly;-)But it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise in this field.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a nice day heather!Tech Michael
Michael and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Michael, sorry for the delay. Family matters took me away from this, although I HAVE rated you (five star) plus a wee 'bonus'. Thanks very much for your reply. I DO want the cooker gimballed if at all possible; have sailed all my life and have had gimballed (just for heeling, not gimballed also for pitching) cookers on previous boats and wouldn't be without it if poss, even though I'm old now and won't be doing any long-distance stuff (but what I will be doing will be in the Atlantic!). The Sea Swing thing looks quite interesting as an alternative solution, though I can't find anywhere that sells them nowadays and wonder whether they're available (with gas as fuel) anywhere? It's POSSIBLE that the guy who owns the yard where the boat is lying might be able to fabricate something for me but maybe I can find suitable ready-made gimbals somewhere for that make of cooker? Finally, the link for pot holder/sea rails which you gace me doesn't specifically mention the Flavel (or Vanessa type), and I'm not sure whether the rails they offer would fit. But thank you. If you have any further ideas or 'leads' I'd appreciate that very much. Thanks again anyway. Heather
Hi Heather, thank you! I will check further on this this week coming, I will report the best options for your situation;-)Have a great weekend! Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks very much, Michael, and the same to you.