How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Your Own Question
Michael, Customer Service
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 9568
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Michael is online now

My Neff microwave goes off after about 22seconds and does not

This answer was rated:

My Neff microwave goes off after about 22seconds and does not heat the water in the glass. Model is H6972nogb.
Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How old is your Microwave oven ?Also does it sound any different when it runs now?ANd when it cuts off, how do you re start it? Or what do you need to do, and is there any error on the display or warning beep that isn't normally heard? Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Michael,
Not sure on the age of the machine as we just moved into the House 15 months ago. Not older than 7 years. The microwave "sounds and looks" OK when turned on (to heat liquids or solids) but no heat is generated. Light is on and sound seems fine. When I test with a glass of water the machine starts up OK but stops after around 22 seconds, system reads "appliance cooling". No change in water temperature is apparent.
i can repeat this exercise ad nausea with the same outcome.
Let me know if you need further details.
Hi John, lol!I understand. This could be as simple as a diode on the large dangerous capacitor or it may need a magnetron or transformer. If you have a meter, and some good hand tools and caution I will help you fix this. But I will warn you first. Microwave ovens can retain LETHAL VOLTAGE in that capacitor if there is a problem with the diode or other control circuitry!!! If you have some experience and will feel like you can handle this I will guide you all the way.Given the age of the microwave, I would suspect the magnetron is bad. Its easy to replace and safe if you use caution to stay away from the capacitor or discharge it first, the way I describe.Anyway, let me know how you wish to proceed?In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.EXCELLENT (5 Stars) would be greatly appreciated. Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a great day John!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Michael,
Thanks for your reply, looks like you know what you are talking about. i see several issues
1) I am scared still of anything electrical and no idea re microwaves etc.
2) I would propose to get a local electrician I know to replace the part
3) I wouldn't know a magnetron if it hit me in the face. Are these readily available in good electrical stores or do I need to order online?
This will take a few days to organise.
thanks for this Michael, a great start so a 10/10 to date!John
Hi john Im glad to help. Please rate with the stars or the rating that shoudl appear on this page, Please let me know if you see that?Im here for you until we have your micro working again one way or the other ;-) ThanksTech Mike
Michael and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you